Monday, April 20, 2009

Gretzky...uh..No, Improving...YES!

When it comes to sports, Blake is more of a loner...a rebel....He absolutely loves being active and playing sports. It's the "team" part of sports that he is not a fan of. So swimming, biking and tumbling he handled fine. And this boy could hit golf balls all day! But when we had him do a stint in soccer, he was completely not into it (to Rob's horror). For example, he would stand out there on the field and pull grass, look at passing birds and planes and watch the ball roll past him. He never complained, he simply said that he didn't like it because he couldn't have the ball all the time. We even tried a little bribing technique that I like to call the "Candy Corn Con". I would sit on the sidelines with a big bag of candy corn (he loves that stuff) and everytime he touched the ball at all (or the ball touched him, which was a little more common) I would put a piece of candy corn in another little bag for him. That may be the only way we made it through the season. In Blake's perfect soccer game, EVERYONE would have a ball and use them at the same time. I told him....uh, that's called practice. He told me, he likes practice!
So after that, Rob thought to himself, "What is the MOST expensive team sport that we can "test" on him next?..Oh, Hockey!"So off they went to get him outfitted with all his gear. Honestly though, Rob put in a lot of work over the last few months, taking him to learn to skate and free-skate sessions so that he would be ready for this. And you know what? He was (to Rob's relief). He has had several practices and 2 games so far and he is LOVING IT! I was worried that when he realized that there is only 1 puck when the game starts that he would be upset, but he's not. He skates really hard and even got an "assist" the other day. I guess all he needed all along was a long, wooden implement to hack his way through the crowd...I'll keep that in mind just in case he ever wants to try soccer again...(ouch)
P.S. Rob, hoping to indoctrinate Cole at an earlier age, took him to a free-skate session yesterday. He had him in full dress, breezers, helmet, pads, etc...and he just layed on the ice like a slug....(Poor Rob).

4 comments:

  1. Glad he's found a sport he likes! I like the Candy Corn Con!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has suffered simliar disappointments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. score on the candy corn!
    now I know what could happen if I take my kids skating. You just never know what they'll do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful story of great parenting. Helping your child find a team sport that he loves. I hope I have the perseverance to help my kids find "the right sport" instead of the one I want them to play.

    ReplyDelete